VEGETARIAN CHILI CHOWDER
- 1/4 cup onion
- 1 tbsp jalapeno pepper
- 1/4 cup celery, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin, ground
- 1/2 tsp paprika, smoked
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 cup tomatoes, diced, no-added salt; undrained
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce, no-added salt
- 1 cup mixed beans, your choice: dark red kidney, white, black or pinto; drained and rinsed
- 1 cup potatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup corn, kernels
- 1/2 cup carrot, diced
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth, low-sodium
- few grains chili powder, chipotle
- few grains pepper, freshly ground
- Tabasco sauce, few grains (optional)
Lightly spray non-stick medium saucepan with vegetable spray. Heat saucepan. Cook onion, jalapeno pepper, celery and garlic for about 2-3 minutes or until softened. Add spices; cook stirring, for 1 minute. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, beans, potatoes, corn and vegetable stock; bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender and chowder has thickened. Season with pepper and chipotle chili if desired.
For added zing, add 1-2 mL (½ tsp.) Tabasco sauce.