This Pancetta Split Pea Pesto Pasta is an iconic twist on a pesto classic. It’s fresh, bold, and tangy mixed with the right amount of savory from the the pancetta that pairs perfectly with the contrasted peppery bite from the green lentils. It’s a dish you won’t forget!
PANCETTA SPLIT PEA PESTO PASTA
Prep Time: 15 Minutes | Cook Time: 15 Minutes | Serves 6
- 1 16oz package of Fusilli pasta
- 1 4oz package of cubed pancetta
- 10oz package of grape/cherry tomatoes, cut in half – 1 cup of pasta water
- 1 cup of cooked split green peas
- 2 cups of fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- 3/4 cup fresh parmesan cheese, shredded – 2 cloves garlic
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup of lemon juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. While water is boiling, cut the tomatoes into halves and set aside. Once water is boiling, cook pasta according to the directions on the packaging for al dente. **Save 1 cup of pasta water, set aside.**
- In a medium sauté pan over medium heat, add in the cubed pancetta and cook until fully browned and crisped. About 5 minutes total. Transfer to a plate with a paper towel to allow the fat to drain. Set aside.
- In a food processor, add in the cooked green lentils, fresh basil leaves, toasted pine nuts, parmesan cheese, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, and salt and pepper. Pulse together until the consistency is nice and smooth.
- Toss the cooked pasta, pesto, desired amount of tomatoes, desired amount of pancetta and a small splash of pasta water together until well-combined. Add more pasta water if needed. Serve hot and enjoy!