Great for vegetarians and flexitarians alike, this innovative take on the classic quesadilla features protein-packed black beans, cilantro rice, and a host of garnishes for added freshness and flavor.
BLACK BEAN CRUNCHY QUESADILLA
Prep Time: 10 min | Cook Time: 60 min | Serves: 4
- 4 (12-inch) flour tortillas
- 1/2 cup non cooked black beans
- 1/2 cup nacho cheese
- 4 tostada shells
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 Roma tomato, diced
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Tapatio Bottle Hot Sauce
Cilantro Lime Rice
- 1 cup extra long grain rice or basmati rice
- 1/2 lime, juice of
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp fresh chopped cilantro
- 3 tsp vegetable oil
- Place Black beans in a pot and cover with 6 cups of water, bring to a boil on high, then Simmer uncovered for 60 minutes to 1 1⁄2 hours until the beans are tender (taste test as you cook) Add a bit of water if necessary to keep the beans covered with water while cooking. Drain the water.
- In a small heavy pot, add rice, water, 1 tsp oil and salt.
- Boil on high until most of the water evaporates. When the water just skims the top of the rice, reduce to low and cover about 20 minutes.
- Shut off flame and keep covered an additional 5 minute.
- In a medium bowl, combine chopped cilantro, lime juice, rice and remaining oil and toss until completely mixed.
- Heat nacho cheese according to package instructions.
- Working one at a time, place black beans in the center of each tortilla. Top with cilantro lime rice, nacho cheese and tostada shell. Add 4-6 drops of Tapatio to your sour cream, mix and spread on an even layer over the tostada shell; top with lettuce, tomato and cheese. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Fold the edges up and over the center. Continue to work your way around the tortilla, folding as tight as possible.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet. Place wrap seam-side down and cook until the underside is golden brown, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook wrap on the other side, about 1-2 minutes longer.
- Cut diagonally down the middle and Serve immediately.